Monday, July 8, 2013

Movie Expectations


Let’s face it, there’s always one movie every year that everyone gets excited for.

The trailer comes out, we hear about all the big names attached to it, we see some promotional footage for the film that gets us hyped for it and long before the movie is even close to be in theaters, people are talking about how awesome it’s going to be and how it’ll be the biggest film of the year.

I’ve never been that way since I was eight years old. All thanks to the 1998 Roland Emmerich film “Godzilla.”



When I was a child, nothing was more exciting to me than Godzilla. I loved every single one of his movies and would discuss how awesome they were with my friends. I could never get Godzilla off my mind. Hell, I’m still a huge Godzilla fan, though I’ve calmed down with my talk of him.

But in 1998, there came word that a new Godzilla movie was being made, and it would be shot in America. As a little kid who adored Godzilla, you could imagine just how excited I was for this film. I’d stay up late at night just thinking about how amazing this new movie would be.

Then the Memorial Day weekend came of the release. I was the first in line to watch the film and was practically bouncing off the walls of the theater as the film started.

But as the film progressed, my excitement levels disappeared. The film was nothing like the Godzilla that I knew and loved. This creature, who had the name of Godzilla, had no fire breath, hardly ever destroyed any buildings and was taken down my military-grade missiles. 

I was disappointed.



But I’m the kind of guy who looks for a lesson in every bad event in my life. To make sure that nothing like ever happens again and leads me to a better life. 

So what was to be learned from the disappointment of “Godzilla?” Getting too excited about something will always lead to negative thoughts and emotions.

When we get over excited for a summer blockbuster, the film will never live up to the expectations that are assigned. There will always be something in the film that catches your eye or is brought to your attention which will diminish your view of the film.

There is always that chance that the film you invest all your hype and excitement into will not be nearly as good as you think it will be. When that happens, disappointment strikes.

So when you go to watch your big summer blockbuster for the summer, whether its “Pacific Rim,” “The Wolverine,” “Elysium” or anything else, try not to get too excited for the film. A little hype and excitement can go a long way, and at least disappointment doesn’t lurk around every corner.


No comments: