Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Trailer Talk: "Guardians Of The Galaxy"

master-trailer

Welcome to a new segment of my blog, entitled "Trailer Talk." This segment will be relatively shorter than most of my other segments, but the jist of this will be that I will look at the newest trailer of an upcoming movie and give my thoughts and impression on what I see. I'll try to understand what the trailer is saying about the film. At the end, I will say whether I want to see the movie when it comes to theaters.

Up first is the last trailer to Marvel's latest superhero adventure, as they expand their universe beyond just Earth, but throughout the galaxy. Starring Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper, this is "Guardians Of The Galaxy."



What catches my interest even further in this trailer is the abundance of comedy and the tone that is so different from other Marvel films, like "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," "The Incredible Hulk" and "Thor." While Marvel movies have been great at finding that balance between comedy and action in previous installments, like the "Iron Man" films and "The Avengers," this one leans much more on it than ever before.

I think this is due, in large part, to the fact that these are superheroes that most people have not heard of. This is Marvel's first attempt at making a movie about heroes that are not huge in pop culture, like Spider-Man or Wolverine.

This is a film about a talking raccoon who likes to use lots of guns and profanity, and whose best friend is a giant talking tree.

XXX GUARDIANS-GALAXY-MOV-JY-0704.JPG A ENT

Marvel is taking a huge chance with this film, and for that reason alone, I really want to see this. I have little to no knowledge of the Guardians of the Galaxy, but from this trailer alone, it makes me want to see more of them.

Whether it is Chris Pratt's attempt to get the other Guardians on his side by talking about what they've lost or the banter between Pratt and Rocket Raccoon, this trailer still manages to hit all the right notes of a good Marvel movie. There is humanity in there and a reason to fight evil, but also a light-hearted side that will take a break to joke about percentages.

My only complaint is that it seems like the comedy is only within two characters, Chris Pratt's character and Rocket. Zoe Saldana and Dave Bautista's characters look like they might just be there to spout action one-liners and kick large amounts of buttocks, and not get involved in the hilarity.

And Groot is, well, just Groot. I think he makes that perfectly clear.

In any case, I'm excited to see where "Guardians Of The Galaxy" goes. It is new ground for Marvel, and considering the amount of comedy in some of their earlier entires, this one should have more than a fair share of it.

Excitement Level: Seeing this on opening weekend

No comments: