Monday, July 7, 2014

Mission Statement For Seeing Is Believing

what is your mission question - chalk handwriting on blackboard

With the relaunch of this website, and the expansion of my reviews, I feel it is necessary to point out exactly what this blog is supposed to do. What I want to do and how I plan to do it.

The mission of "Seeing Is Believing" has always remained the same: Providing the reader with some insight or film knowledge that they may had not considered. To give a unique and fresh perspective on the world of cinema.

My goal is not to give the end all-be all of reviews or the definitive way to view any movie, because there is no such thing. There is no one right way to watch a film, therefore it is impossible to have a correct opinion or wrong opinion. The only thing I can do is offer up my opinion in the best way I know how and hope that it improves your way of thinking about cinema.

Because watching a film is one thing, but reading a review on the same film and hearing a different perspective is something else entirely. To see what is bad about a film you loved or hearing about the silver lining in a terrible film can change so much about your outlook that gets you thinking.

Think

And that's what I want my articles to do: Make you think. I've had plenty of people tell me that, even though they often disagree with me liking or disliking a certain film, they at least appreciated what I had to say and respect my opinion. That's all I can ask for.

I do not expect people to agree with everything I say. If you like "22 Jump Street" or hate "Stand By Me," that's fine. The last thing I want to do is force my readers to only like what I like. In fact, I encourage everyone to embrace their feelings on cinema and not care what others have to say about it.

You should be able to like what you want to like.

But at the same time, respect and kindness is the key. To treat other people as equals, as well as their opinions and feelings. Just because someone thinks differently than you does not mean they should be treated badly. Try to understand where they are coming from, so that you will not only get a new perspective but it might also reshape your own opinions.

Film reviews are nothing more than elaborate and well-explained opinions on any given film. Opinions, by their very nature, are subjective and will vary from person to person. That is what makes talking about film so much fun. To hear all the different opinions and know that yours is just as valid as any other opinion out there.

So embrace that, and you will have as much fun with film criticism as I do.

No comments: